Page 12 - Senior Times South Central Michigan August 2020 - 27-08
P. 12

Page 12
Senior Times - August 2020 Ask the
Michael Walling, Special to Senior Times
❖ Bicycling
❖ Billiards
❖ Burnham Brook Singers
❖ Cards & Games
❖ Evening Dances
❖ Golf
❖ Line Dancing Lessons
❖ StampClub
❖ Tap Dancing Lessons
Hours Of Operation
 Building Hours:
Mon-Fri, 6am-9pm
Sat, 8am-3pm; Sun Closed
 Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm
 The Kool Family Community Center Basic Annual Membership: $55
 Call For Prices For
The Fitness Loft 269-969-8956
 Like us on Facebook
      200 West Michigan Avenue, Battle Creek, MI 49017269-965-0000
                   GETTING AFFAIRS IN ORDER QUESTION: I need to get my affairs
It can be your kids, your spouse, the church, a children’s hospital, whoever you want. You choose what each will get. You can also use a trust. The trust works like a will but it avoids Probate. Finally, you can use beneficiary desig- nations. These days almost everything allows you to name a beneficiary. Your IRA, 401(k), investment accounts, bank accounts, even your real estate (using a lady bird deed).
in order. What do I need to do?
ANSWER: I am getting this question a lot lately with the coronavirus out there. When someone tells me they need to “get their affairs in order,” I think of two things: First, who will pay their bills and make medical decisions for them if they become incapacitated (stroke, dementia, Alzheimer’s, etc.)? Second, whom do they want to get their assets when they die?
I would advise you to see an expe- rienced estate planning attorney to discuss which plan is best for you. Stay away from internet forms. You pay an
What if
you become
There are two
very important
legal docu-
ments to have
in case this
happens. The
first is a dura-
ble power of
attorney. This
allows someone to handle your finan- cial and legal affairs. This document carries a lot of power so choose the person who will act for you wisely. The second is a durable power of attorney for health care. This allows someone
to make medical treatment decisions for you. This includes end-of-life deci- sions. Choose a strong person who will actually do what you want.
attorney for the knowledge of law he or she has; you can’t get that from a form.
B. Walling is an Elder Law attorney with an advance Master of
                                          105 Capital Ave., NE • 269-962-5527 • BATTLE CREEK | AUGUSTA | RICHLAND
  Lastly, how do you get your assets to the people you want them to go to? There are several ways to do that. You can have a will prepared for you. In your will you can name who gets what.
Laws degree. He manages the Elder Law Center and the law firm of Michael B. Walling, PLC. Mr. Walling is also a part-time Professor at Western Michigan University. Please send any questions you would like addressed to: The Elder Law Center, 4625 Beckley Road, Building 400, Suite 4003, Battle Creek, Michigan, 49015. You may also call (269) 968-1101 to set up a free initial consultation. This column is intended for general information pur- poses only and should not be consid- ered as legal advice to any particular person.
   Call us today to make an appointment at our office or set up a video conference/meeting (via Zoom, Facebook, Skype, etc.).
Elder Law Attorney
Author of "Ask the Attorney"
Wills • Trusts • Powers of Attorney
Lady Bird Deeds • Asset Protection Planning Guardianships/Conservatorships for Adults
Don't Lose Everything You Have To the Nursing Home
I can help you save up to 100% of your assets.
Let me help you properly draft and fund a trust before you or your
spouse enter a nursing home; it could save you over $50,000!
   Call for a free
initial consultation*. *Except Asset Protection Planning
(269) 968-1101
Offices in Battle Creek & Kalamazoo
Helping Seniors for more than two decades.

   10   11   12   13   14