Page 35 - Senior Housing Directory 2021 South Central Michigan
P. 35

  for low-income blind, aged, and disabled people. This program is called Supplemental Security Income (SSI). If you qualify for SSI, you are paid a monthly check to bring your total income up to the SSI limit.
You apply for SSI at your local Social Security office. Additional information
can be obtained from the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213. If you qualify for SSI, you automatically qualify for Medicaid.
Some adult foster care homes and homes for the aged accept SSI payment levels as payment in full. If the AFC or HFA accepts SSI, it cannot charge you more than this amount for its services. However, an AFC or HFA is not required to accept a resident receiving SSI.
Covering Costs for Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) Care
Your medical condition, or that of a loved one, might reach a point that 24- hour skilled nursing care is the remaining option. If so follow these steps to find the nursing home that meets your needs.
1. Find nursing homes in your area. There
is a list to start with found on page 22.
2. Compare the quality of the nursing homes you’re considering. Your local Ombudsman can help you with this or you can start online by visiting
3. Visit the nursing homes you’re inter- ested in or have someone visit for you. Sometimes it’s best to just drop in.
4. Choose the nursing home that meets your needs.
Paying for Skilled Nursing Facility
Long-term care can be tremendously expensive, and unfortunately, your options for covering it are limited. Average costs in Michigan are $249 per day for a semi-pri- vate room and $272 per day for a private room, or more than $99,000 annually.
Ensuring that you have adequate dollars to support a skilled level of care in the future takes intentional planning. One way is to rely on your own savings or a loan, like a reverse mortgage. Another is to buy long-term care insurance, which is sold by many insurance companies. The earlier you buy a policy, the better. The premium gets more expensive the older you are. You may also be able to trade
in your life insurance policy for long-term
care insurance.
People who have worked for the
government or were in the military may qualify for discounted insurance. Some costs may also be covered through the Aid and Attendance program previously mentioned.
If your income or assets are low enough you might qualify for Medicaid, which will cover most of your long-term care costs.
Many people who don't qualify for Medicaid because their assets are too high will pay for long-term care on their own. Then, once that money is exhaust- ed, and their assets are low enough, they can then qualify for Medicaid coverage. Medicaid programs are run by individual states. Be aware that Medicaid does have a five-year look back period. Assets given away during the most recent five years will still count as dollars available at the time you apply for benefits. Talk to an elder law attorney to determine what might be the best route for your family.
The website can connect you to information about your state's Medicaid plan. For more information please contact your MMAP counselor at 1-800-803-7174.
    Providing services for Veterans and their families.
  Federal Benefits and Programs Emergency Assistance Benefits County Burial Benefits
                                                                                            (269) 969-6735
190 East Michigan Avenue, Third Floor Battle Creek, Michigan
Homebound•Desire to Remain Independent•Caregivers
• That have a need for frequent contact
• A desire for regular social interaction
• Services can be short term or ongoing
• The need may be simply a friendly conversation or a connection to assistance
For more information or to request services call: (269)963-0746 Battle Creek area or
The Forks Senior Center (517)629-3842 Albion/Marshall area.

   33   34   35   36   37