Page 34 - Senior Housing Directory 2021 South Central Michigan
P. 34

 Covering Costs For Care
The VA Housebound benefit is available if you get a VA pension and you spend most of your time in your home because of a permanent disability (a disability that doesn’t go away). Reach out to the VA
to find out if you qualify. It is important to note that you cannot get both Aid and At- tendance benefits and Household benefits at the same time.
Aid and Attendance (A&A) is a special pension offered by the VA, which provides benefits for Veter- ans and their spouses who require the regular attendance of another person to assist in their activi- ties of daily living. There are four criteria to be met in order to apply for A&A; military service, medical need, assets, and income.
Send a completed VA form to your pension management center (PMC). Fill out VA Form 21-2680 (Examination for Housebound Status or Permanent Need for Regular Aid and Attendance) and
mail it to the PMC for your state. You can have your doctor fill out the examination information section. You can download the
form online at pubs/forms/VBA-21-2680-ARE.pdf.
Find the VA pension management center (PMC) online by visiting https:// agement-centers/ that serves the state, territory, or foreign country you live in. Then, mail your pension application to the address for that center.
You can also include with your VA form 21-2680:
• Other evidence, like a doctor’s report, that shows need Aid and Attendance or Housebound care.
• Details about what you normally do during the day and how you get to places.
• Details that help show what kind of illness, injury, or mental or physical dis- ability affects your ability to do things, like take a bath, on your own.
Government Assistance / Medicare and Medicaid
Some government assistance is available for residents of adult foster care homes and homes for the aged that meet strict eligibility standards. Additional assis- tance may be available for individuals who
have a developmental disability or who have a mental illness.
Medicare does not pay for room and board. However, it will continue to pay for covered medical expenses, such as hospi- tal care, prescribed home health services, and doctor visits. There is one exception to that rule. PACE is a government pro- gram that helps qualifying older adults get the medical and social services they need to continue living in their homes as they age.
Medicaid may be available to some residents. It will not pay the fees for room and board in an AFC, HFA, or assisted living, but it may pay medical expenses including prescription medicines. Medicaid will, however, support qualifying individuals in their home environment through the MI Choice Waiver with appropriate services.
If you have questions about Medicare and Medicaid benefits, the Medicare Medicaid Assistance Program at 1-800- 803-7174 can explain what programs are available and how to qualify.
Supplemental Security Income
The Social Security Administration runs an income supplement program
Learn About Medicare Options
■ Medicare Supplements ■ Medicare Advantage
■ Part D (RX) Drug Plans
Planning & Protection
■ Safe Money Retirement Planning
  ■ Life "Burial" Insurance Find The Right Coverage Provider
 We represent over 30 different carriers to make sure you find the right coverage that works best for you.
 Call us today to set up your FREE consultation.
100 Country Pine Lane, Suite 2, Battle Creek, MI 49015
Serving all of Southwest and South Central Michigan including these cities: Battle Creek, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Benton Harbor, Coldwater, Hillsdale, Sturgis, Charlotte, and surrounding areas
             Solving Senior Problems with Senior Solutions
   Small town atmosphere. Big city results.
Beginning with Lewis W. Schroeder,
our law firm has been serving its clients and the Marshall community since 1921. Representing families and businesses in all of their legal matters, Schroeder DeGraw, PLLC offers its clients big city capabilities in a small town atmosphere.
 • Agriculture
• Banking
• Business
• Creditor/Debtor
• Civil Litigation
• Criminal Defense • Estate
Administration • Estate Planning
• Family Law
• Municipal Law • Personal Injury • Real Estate
• Tax Preparation
203 East Michigan Avenue, Marshall, Michigan 49068 1-269-781-9851 •
  Attorneys: Ronald J. DeGraw, Millard N. Mayhall, David J. DeGraw, Lisa A. McNiff, Jason C. Bomia, Brock Veenhuis

   32   33   34   35   36