Page 32 - Senior Housing Directory 2020 South Central Michigan
P. 32

If you or your loved one has been living at home with the full support of family caregivers
it is important to recognize that there may be
a point in time when the caregiver reaches ex- haustion. The reality is that an exhausted family caregiver is at risk for a host of health issues if they do not get the relief they need. Being willing to allow either part or full time care services to come into the home or moving to a facility may be the best next step for everyone involved. The challenge is covering the cost for care.
The cost of in-home care or residing at an adult foster care (AFC) home, a home for the aged (HFA) or an unlicensed assisted living varies from facility to facility. Costs will also vary within a facility depending on the services received. Covering costs for support services in the home can be supported through various sources as well.
Some people can afford to pay fees from their own income and savings. Others may choose to sell their home, sign a reverse mort- gage, sell other assets, or access dollars from investments.
Some local businesses include a long-term care program benefit or have supports services that will provide assistance such as with the Kellogg 25 Year Trust. Others may have pur- chased long-term care insurance on their own
that pays all or part of the cost of activities of daily living or assisted living. Some life insurance policies have a chronic illness rider. Generally, you can qualify if you are unable to do two of six activities of daily living without assistance or if you need assistance for cognitive impairment. Finally, there is family.
Unlike skilled nursing facilities, government financial assistance for assisted living is very limited. Many find it difficult to find affordable assisted living. And if private funds run out, it may be necessary to move to another facility.
If you are considering moving into an ACH, HFA or unlicensed assisted living, one of the questions you should be asking yourself is, “How long can I afford to live in this facility?"
You should consider not only current costs and fees, but future increases. You also need to think about how your care needs may change and how that will impact costs. See pages 28-31 for a more detailed list of questions to ask before moving in.
Veterans Administration: The Veterans Administration provides pension benefits to Veterans, their spouses, and widows or wid- owers with limited incomes. Probably the most underutilized Veteran’s benefit available is the VA Aid and Attendance Pension. This benefit pays for home care, assisted living, and adult foster
care expenses, where traditionally, people would have to go into a nursing home to have the government (Medicaid) help pay for their care. This benefit is a great alternative to Medicaid or even long-term care insurance (for those who are not insurable). Information can be obtained by calling the Veterans Administration at 1-800-827-1000 or your local regional benefit office.
Aid and Attendance (A&A) is a special pension offered by the VA, which provides benefits for Veter- ans and their spouses who require the regular attendance of another person to assist in their activities of daily living. There are four criteria to be met in order to apply for A&A; military service, medical need, as- sets, and income.
Government Assistance / Medicare and Medicaid: Some government assistance is available for residents of adult foster care homes and homes for the aged that meet strict eligibility standards. Additional assistance may be avail- able for individuals who have a developmental disability or who have a mental illness.
Medicare does not pay for room and board.
                                                                                       Award-Winning | 5-Star Rated
      50 Sanderson Lane, Coldwater, MI 49036
Homebound•Desire to Remain Independent•Caregivers
• That have a need for frequent contact
• A desire for regular social interaction
• Services can be short term or ongoing
• The need may be simply a friendly conversation or a connection to assistance
For more information or to request services call: (269)963-0746 Battle Creek area or
The Forks Senior Center (517)629-3842 Albion/Marshall area.

   30   31   32   33   34