Page 3 - Senior Times April 2019 26-04
P. 3

Senior Times - April 2019Page 3BUILD A STRONG STRUCTURE FOR SAFETYBy: Sherii Sherban, PublisherAccording to the National Osteoporosis Foundation, about 54 million Americans have low bone density, or osteoporosis. Many remained unaware of it until they suffered a bone fracture, primarily because they had not exhibited symptoms prior to the your daily value of calcium. However, most cheeses contain only a small amount of vitamin D, generally not enough to put a large dent in your daily needs.There are two significant ways to impact the development of osteoporosis, exercise and nutri- tion including getting enough calcium and vitamin D into the diet as we age. Exercise is one of the best ways to strengthen your bones and build or maintain the thickness of your bones. Even if you already have low bone density exercise can help you to preserve the bone mass you already have. Furthermore, exercise can help with building muscle and endurance.flexible bands.Flexibility becomes important as you strive toSardines - These tiny fish, often found in cans, have surprisingly high levels of both vitamin D and calcium. Though they may look a bit odd, some say that they have a savory taste. Sneaking them into pastas and salads can be a great way to enjoy sardines.As is always the case, safety first. Please reach out to your physician before beginning any pro- gram. And if possible, work with a coach to start the exercises correctly. Many senior facilities also have exercise programs. Be sure to ask questions.In addition to adequate exercise, targeting nutritional needs can be valuable as well. Two key nutrients, Vitamin D and calcium, can help with building strong bones. Calcium supports the bone and teeth structure, whereas Vitamin D improves absorption of calcium as well as bone growth. Adults over 50 should get 1,200 milligrams of calcium and 400 to 600 international units (IUs) of vitamin D.Salmon – Is packed full of heart-healthy omega- 3 fatty acids. Just a 3-ounce piece of sockeye salm- on contains more than 100% of your vitamin D.The best types of exercise to help with bone mass density include weight-bearing, resistance, and flexibility. Finding a way to incorporate all three is beneficial.Vitamin D and calcium can come from the foods we eat as well as spending a little bit of time out in the sun, which can sometimes be challenging in Michigan in the winter months. In fact, most people get their vitamin D through exposure to sunlight.Fortified cereal – Certain cereals – like Kashi U Black Currants and Walnuts, Total Whole Grain, and Wheaties – contain up to 25% of your daily vitamin D. When you don’t have time to cook salmon or get out in the sun, cereals can be a tasty way to get your vitamin D.prevent injury. Regular stretches, tai chi, or yoga can help with flexibility.Eggs – They contain only a small percentage of your daily vitamin D need but they are easy to prepare. And keep in mind that the vitamin D is found in the yolk, not the egg whites.Spinach – It’s a great way to meet your calcium needs without dairy and offers fiber, iron, and vita- min A as well.Weight-bearing exercises are defined as exercise where the legs and feet support the body’s weight. Dancing, walking, stair climbing, aerobics, and even gardening, are examples. And while bicycling and swimming are valuable forms of exercise, they are not truly weight-bearing. According to WebMD walking as little as three to five miles a week can help build your bone health.Tuna – Another fatty fish that is a good source of vitamin D.Resistance exercise means that you are working against the weight of another object. Studies have shown that resistance exercise increases bone den- sity and reduces the risk of fractures. This is where exercise in the water comes into play, potentially even biking, as well as working with weights orYogurt - One cup of yogurt can be a creamy way to get your daily calcium. However, the pro- tein-packed Greek yogurts tend to contain less cal- cium and little, if any, vitamin D.Orange juice – A glass of fresh-squeezed OJ doesn’t have calcium or vitamin D, but it’s often fortified to contain these nutrients. Check the label for added calcium and vitamin D. Studies have also shown that the ascorbic acid in OJ may help with calcium absorption, so you may be more likely to get the benefits of this fortified drink.The following list of foods can be good choices to seek out for their calcium or vitamin D content.Collard greens – Like spinach, this leafy green is full of calcium. You can easily sneak it into your favorite foods and smoothies too.Milk – When fortified with vitamin D can help with your daily vitamin D requirements. Smoothies can be a unique way to sneak milk into the diet if you’re not fond of milk.By combining the right exercises and food choices you can have an impact on the develop- ment or progression of osteoporosis. Talk with you physician today to see what might be best for you.Cheese – It only takes small amounts to helpCITYHastings WoodlandAlbion Battle Creek Battle Creek Battle Creek Marshall TekonshaJackson Jackson Napoleon Spring ArborLOCATIONCOA Building Eagles ClubFACILITATORTheresa Lancaster Leona RairighPHONE DAYS(269) 948-4856 M-F(269) 367-4041 M,W,FTIME10am-2pm10:30am-1pmSENIOR DINING CENTERSBARRY COUNTYDeltonFaith United MethodistAngela Soya(269) 579-3918M,W,T11am-1pmNashvilleMain St. BanqetsJenny Burlison(517) 213-9212M-F10:30am-1pmMeals provided by Barry County Commission on Aging. A program sponsored by Barry County United Way.BRANCH COUNTYColdwaterColdwater Church of ChristAlisha Carr(517) 279-8249M,T,Th,F9am-1pmLunch Served at 12pmMeals provided by Community Action Food and Nutritional Services. Funding sources AAA 3C, Branch County United Way, USDA, and private donations.CALHOUN COUNTYAlbionAlbion Forks Senior Dining CenterCynthia Rose(866) 200-8877M,T,W,F10:30am-1pmLunch served at 12pmClarence Township Dining Center Bedford Manor Dining Center Lakeview 900 Territorial Dining Center Westbrook Place Dining Center Heritage CommonsTekonsha Community HallMark Rice Billy Castle Karl Hoard Michelle Dove Kitty KnollSenior Health Partners(866) 200-8877 (866) 200-8877 (866) 200-8877 (866) 200-8877 (269) 558-6150(866) 200-8877M,T,W M,T,W,Th,F M,W,F M,T,W,Th,F T, ThT10:30am-1pm 10:30am-1pm 10:30am-1pm 10:30am-1pm 12-1pm10amLunch served at 11:45am Lunch served at 11:30am Lunch served at 11:30am Lunch served at 11:30am Lunch served at 12pmSenior Fit & FunAthensAthens Lighthouse Community Center(866) 200-8877Th10amSenior Fit & FunBattle CreekCherryhill Manor Senior CenterConstance Siegel(866) 200-8877M,T,W,Th,F10:30am-1pmLunch served at 11:30amBattle CreekSpringview Towers Dining CenterEileen Worthington(866) 200-8877M,T,W,F10:30am-1pmLunch served at 11:30amHomerHomer Presbyterian ChurchSenior Health Partners(866) 200-8877T10:30amSenior Fit & FunMarshallMarshall House Dining CenterDeb Trescott(866) 200-8877M,W,F10:30am-1pmLunch served at 12pmAll sites have hot and cold meals. Meals provided by Senior Services SW MI. Funding by Calhoun County Senior Services, CareWell Services - AAA 3B, USDA, and private donations.JACKSON COUNTYGrass LakeGrass Lake Food With FriendsAnnie Lavergne(517) 788-4364T, Th10am-3:30pmLunch served at 12pmCrouch Senior CenterKing Rec Center, Food with Friends Napoleon Township HallSpring Arbor Senior CenterLaurie Mead Laurie Mead Gail JamiesonShimone Glaspie(517) 788-4364 (517) 788-4364 (517) 788-4364(517) 750-1010M,T,W,Th,F M,T,W,Th,F T, Th M,T,W,Th,F8am-4pm 10:30am-1:30pm 10:30am-1:30pm9:45am-1:45pmLunch served at 12pm Lunch served at 12pm Lunch served at 12pmLunch served at 12pmJacksonPark ForestLaurie Mead(517) 788-4364M,T,W,Th,F10:30am-1:30pmLunch served at 12pmMichigan CenterSt. Aidan’s Episcopal ChurchLaurie Mead(517) 788-4364M,W,F10am-2pmLunch served at 12pmNorvellNorvell/Township HallGail Jamieson(517) 788-4364M,W,F10:30am-1:30pmLunch served at 12pmTo have your senior dining center added or changes to your listing, Call Sherii at (269) 979-1412 ext. 302 or Email:

   1   2   3   4   5