Page 25 - Senior Times November 2018 25-11
P. 25

IN THIS SEASON OF GIVING, HELP A LOVED ONE WITH SOCIAL SECURITYDuring the holiday season, we sur- round ourselves with family and friends, some of whom may rely on us for a number of reasons. An aging parent might need help clearing snow. A sibling may require help after a surgery. Andas we get older, our family members may need help managing their finances. In fact, more than eight million people who get monthly Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits need help managing their money.If you have a loved one who can- not manage their finances, you may be able to become a representative payee.We thoroughly investigate people who apply to be representative pay-ees to protect the interests of Social Security beneficiaries, because a repre- sentative payee receives the beneficia- ry’s payments and is given the authority to use them on the beneficiary’s behalf.Social Security appoints a represen- tative payee to manage Social Security and SSI funds only. A payee has no legal authority to manage non-Social Security income or medical matters.As a representative payee, you must know what the beneficiary’s needs are so you can decide the best use of ben- efits for their care and well-being. This is especially important if the benefi- ciary doesn’t live with you. Each year, Social Security may ask you tocomplete a form to account for the benefits you’ve received. You can either fill out the form and return it to Social Security or go online at www.socialse- to file the report.Due to a recent change in the law, we no longer require the follow-ing payees to complete an annual Representative Payee Report:• Natural or adoptive parents of a minor child beneficiary who primarily reside in the same household as the child;• Legal guardians of a minor child ben- eficiary who primarily reside in the same household as the child;• Natural or adoptive parents of a dis- abled adult beneficiary who primarily reside in the same household with the beneficiary; and• Spouse of a beneficiary.Taking care of family is something we do all year long, not just during this holiday season. Becoming a representa- tive payee is a selfless act of kindness. You can read more about becoming a representative payee at www.socialse- VanTil is the Public Affairs Specialist for West Michigan. Youcan write her c/o Social Security Administration, 3045 Knapp NE, Grand Rapids, MI, 49525 or via email at Times - November 2018 Updates On YourPage 25SOCIAL SECURITYVonda VanTil, Special to Senior TimesHappy Thanksgiving From Everyone AtLakeviewAssisted Living14661 Helmer Road South Battle Creek, MI 49015CommunitiesHeritage ReflectionsAssisted Living Memory Care14420 Helmer Road South 14316 Helmer Road South Battle Creek, MI 49015 Battle Creek, MI 49015Ganton SeniorFor more information please call 269-969-4000

   23   24   25   26   27