Page 10 - Senior Housing Directory 2018
P. 10

Nursing homes, also called Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNF), are for individu- als who need nursing care and/or more per- sonal care than can be provided in another setting. Many individuals turn to a nursing home when their income and savings cannot cover other long term care options, when family members can no longer play a major role in care-giving, or when they have 24- hour nursing needs.Most residents receive basic care: help with bathing, toileting, feeding, dressing, medication, skin care, and walking. Basic care also includes observation and assess- ment of health needs, such as watching for infections and serious illness.Skilled care means the resident needs the daily attention of a licensed health profes- sional such as a registered nurse, practical nurse, or physical therapist under orders from a doctor. Skilled care may include intravenous (IV) feedings or medication, co- lostomy care, treatment of severe bed sores, physical therapy, or observation and assess- ment of a changing or unstable condition.Sometimes a skilled nursing facility is utilized as a place for rehab after surgery or injury to help the senior regain the skills and movement needed in order to return back to their home.Medicaid can pay for both skilled and ba- sic care; Medicare covers only skilled care, and only on a short-term basis.Programs of All inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE): PACE is a Medicare and Medicaid program offered in many states that allows people who otherwise need a nursing home-level of care to remain in the community. Part of their time may be spent in the day facility and then the balance of their day at home.To qualify for PACE, you must meet these conditions:• You’re 55 or older.• You live in the service area of a PACEorganization.• You’re certified by your state as needing anursing home-level of care.• At the time you join, you’re able to livesafely in the community with the help of PACE services.To find out if you’re eligible and if there’s a PACE site near you, visit pace4you.orgor, or you can call your State Medical Assistance (Medicaid) office. A list of local programs can be found on page 13 under the Adult Day Care / PACE listing.Respite care: Some nursing homes, residential care facilities, and hospice care facilities provide respite care. You mayalso get respite care in your home. Respite care is short-term assistance so the primary caregiver can rest. Medicare covers inpatient respite care for up to five days if you’re getting covered hospice care services. Room and board are covered for inpatient respitecare and during short-term hospital stays. If you’re eligible, Medicaid will pay for some of these services at home that aren’t covered by Medicare.Subsidized Senior Housing – There are state and federal programs that help pay for housing for some older people with low to moderate incomes. Some of these housing programs also offer help with meals and oth- er activities, like housekeeping, shopping, and doing the laundry. Residents usually live in their own apartments within an apartment building. Rent payments are based on your income. Your rent will not exceed 30 percent of your monthly income. Long waitinglists are typical for subsidized housing in some areas. Many of the in-home services described in the previous section are also available to people living in senior housing.Publishers Note: Talk to your family, your doctor or other health care provider, a person-centered counselor, or a social work- er for help deciding what kind of care is best for you right now and in the long term.If you have limited income and resources, there may be state programs that help cover some of your costs in some of the long-term care choices mentioned below. Call your State Medical Assistance (Medicaid) office at 1-800-803-7174 or 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.To schedule an appointment or a visit please contact us at one of our three locations.Laurels of Galesberg1080 N. 35th St, Galesburg, MI 49053(269) 665-7043Laurels of Bedford270 N. Bedford Rd, Battle Creek, MI 49037(269) 968-2296Laurels of Coldwater90 N. Michigan Ave, Coldwater, MI 49036(517) 279-9808laurelsofgalesburg.comlaurelsofbedford.comlaurelsofcoldwater.comA Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation CenterCreating a legacy by exceeding the needs and expectations of those we serve, while embracing the Laurel way! SERVICES: Short-term Rehab, Skilled Nursing Care, Respite Care, Palliative Care, Outpatient Therapy SPECIALIZING IN: Stroke Rehab, Auto Accident Recovery, Neuro Rehabilitation, Wound Care, Orthopedic Rehabilitation, Programs, Post Knee/ Hip, Replacement RehabFOR A VIRTUAL TOUR VISIT www.laurelsobedford.com10 SENIOR HOUSING DIRECTORY | 2018

   8   9   10   11   12